Okay this is the THIRD recipe I am sharing with you for egg salad. Why? Because I love it!!! It was always on my yummy list before I abandoned animal foods. If you grew up in the northeast US, particularly near New York City, you know that egg salad is a lunchtime staple and a favorite of many, found in every delicatessen and diner across the concrete terrain.
Enter this plant-based version which is now my go-to, veganized favorite lunch. The flavor and texture just blew us away. It is so very similar to actual egg salad. But A WHOLE LOT healthier! So if you're a fan of this traditional sandwich then you must, must, must try this nutritious alternative.
- 1½ cups raw cashews, soaked for about 5 hours (or overnight is fine)
- about ½ cup water
- 2 TBS yellow mustard
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Black Kala Namak salt (this gives it a distinctive eggy flavor!)
- 1 package silken tofu
- Rinse the cashews and place in a high-powered blender.* Add water a little at a time, blending until you reach a smooth, pasty consistency. Add remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the tofu, and blend again until combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and crumble in the tofu.
- Fold in gently to combine.
- Add chopped onions, celery or anything else you like!
Makes 4 good-sized sammiches. Enjoy!