Holy smokes! This corn bread rocks. I had lost count on the number of times I tried to create an oil-free corn bread recipe. It just wasn't happening. I literally gave up. The problem was, I was being too complex...
This bread comes together with the simplest of ingredients. Many thanks to the Happy Herbivore. I came across her recipe and was astonished at the minimal, whole food ingredients. But I wanted to take it a step further and make it gluten-free. I also used much less sweetener and added flax since we won't have the gluten-hold factor in the flour. Lindsay's recipe uses "featherweight baking powder" which I haven't gotten my dust-covered, baking hands on yet. I imagine it would make the result that much better. I'll let you know... just ordered some!
- 1 cup corn meal
- ½ cup corn flour (masa)
- ½ cup + 2 TBS brown rice flour
- 1 TBS sifted baking powder
- 1 TBS ground flax
- ¼ tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened, plant-based milk (I used soy)
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 TBS pure maple syrup or other liquid sweetener of your choice
NOTE: You can sub the corn flour and brown rice flour with any gluten-free flour mix.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Combine all wet ingredients and mix into the dry ingredients.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 9" square baking dish or other oven-proof dish. A pie plate will work, too.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.