I think I can get away with calling this dish an au gratin, even though I didn't use the traditional bread crumb topping. Whatever you want to call it, you will love it! I think this may be my favorite recipe that I have create to date. Since I now have about 300 recipes on this blog (thereabouts, I haven't counted lately), that's saying something!
The ease with which this dish is prepared cannot be overlooked when indulging in its most delicious, creamy, cheezy sauce.
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 3 cups unsweetened soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1½ TBS white miso
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 TBS + 1 tsp tapioca flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly oil a deep casserole dish large enough to accommodate the cauliflower.
- Chop the cauliflower using just the florets, making them pretty small (an inch in diameter at the most) and place them in the casserole dish.
- Place the cashews and ¼ cup of the soy milk into a high powered blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides if needed.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower. Press the florets down into the sauce as best you can if they are not totally covered. You should have enough sauce unless your cauliflower is ginormous.
- Cover and bake for one hour.
Serves 4-6 as a side dish. Enjoy!