You know that Elvis loved peanut butter and banana sandwiches, right? He also loved to put bacon on them and grill them in butter! Not the healthiest meal by any means. Well, this oatmeal has all of the flavors of that favorite sandwich, made famous by The King without any of the cholesterol or fat. Yay! Have you ever tried shiitake bacon? It's AMAZING and adds a great flavor to this dish.
We eat a lot of oatmeal for breakfast in my house, so I'm always trying to think of fun, new ways to prepare it. This recipe is a keeper!!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened, plant-based milk (I used soy)
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup unsalted, natural peanut butter
- shiitake bacon
- 1 banana, sliced
- date syrup or coconut syrup
- Place the oatmeal and the water in a sauce pan and simmer, covered, until all the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add the milk at the end and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the peanut butter swirl ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Fold the swirl into the oatmeal (don't mix it in completely).
- Top with the banana, shiitake bacon and a bit of date or coconut syrup and some extra plant-based milk if you like.
Serves 2. Enjoy!